Welcome to Daniland

I am Dani and this is my way of sharing who I am, through the things that I love. Please feel free to contact me at destinationdaniland@gmail.com and follow me on Twitter, @destinationdani .

Thursday, January 21, 2010

NBC Ruins the greatest television franchise in history!

As a self proclaimed "night owl" I have been watching late night television since I can remember. Some of my earliest and fondest memories are of the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. I am 29 years old so I was only 11 when he retired. That was an incredibly sad day, but Jay Leno took the helm and made the show his own. I enjoyed watching him for many years as well as Late Night with Conan O'Brien. I'll admit I had my doubts when NBC hired a virtually unknown talent to be David Letterman's replacement. However, Conan quickly found his niche and changed my mind. I have been a fan for 15 years and will be for life. I can't believe that NBC even suggested moving the Tonight Show to 12:05 am! I agree with Conan, it just simply wouldn't be the Tonight Show anymore! I know that Jay Leno is a workaholic and that NBC also screwed him in this whole ordeal and I have been a fan for years, but I will NOT watch the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. He had his run and if he knew his prime time show was going to be a disaster he should have walked away then! Conan was only given 7 months to build an audience with a crappy lead in. He did great for what he had. He also has to deal with the fact that DVR and the Internet are how most people watch television now days. I am no expert so I have no idea if these mediums are figured in the ratings calculations, I am just saying they weren't even an option at the beginning of Jay Leno's run. Conan could continue to host the show and get paid, but he is looking past whats best for him and looking out for whats best for the show. He also realizes the effect the move would have on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and he refuses to do it. I respect the man immensely for that! He didn't strike a deal until his staff, almost all of whom made the move from New York to LA with him, were taken care of. Even opting to pay them out of his own severance. He is a class act and a hugely talented man. Friday will be a very sad day for television, it will be, in my eyes, the end of the Tonight Show. Wherever you end up Conan, I will be watching.

1 comment:

  1. Danni, well said! By the way, you write very good. Looking forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete